Kids Kamp

Kids Kamp
Oh the fun the kids will have!!

Thursday, June 24, 2010

How to prevent heat illness...

Since we live in the wonderful state of AZ, we must beware of the heat that comes our way in June. I have always been aware of the heat and how important it is to drink water, but I have become even more aware of the harmful side affects that can come with not drinking enough water. This was brought to my attention when a camper came to me and said, "Ms. Tiffany, I feel dizzy." As he started to fall backwards I caught him and he woke right up. He was a very brave little guy. We had him sit down and drink some water. This was a sight that I had not seen before. Now that I know I will be prepared for this if it were to happen again, I hope that I do not have to experience this again.

Please take the time to talk about how important it is to drink water and stay hydrated. Talk to your kids that if they are feeling funny (such as dizzy) while they are playing that they need to tall some one so that they can get help.

Check out this link for more information on why kids need special attention, how much water kids actually need, warning signs and other articles. (copy and paste the link to view)

http://www.phoenixcoyotescare.com/columns/parenting/how-to-prevent-heat-illness-and-dehydration/

Thank you for understanding the importance of this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Kids Kamp

The campers at Kids Kamp will be kept active all day while they bond with new friends, old friends, energetic counselors and fabulous teachers. Children, ages 3 to 6, will participate in the preschool and kindergarten programs, which include free play, water play, art, cooking, drama, and sand play activities in three self-contained classrooms. The older children, ages 7 to 11, will rotate between classes that include drumming, sports and games, crafts, cooking, dance, drama, science experiments, water play and yoga. Each grade level is called a tribe. The campers will name their tribes, create signs and fun chants to show their camp spirit.